Friday, June 11, 2010

May Gray and June Gloom

In San Diego, there's a certain payback that's due every year for having a frost-free January and February.

It's a little thing called May Gray and June Gloom. Basically, it's exactly what it sounds like. For 2 months, there is little to no sunshine and everything is gray and dreary.

It's hard to wake up in the morning, it's hard to get motivated, it's hard to deal with it in general.

This is an actual photo taken in mid-afternoon in June.

It's also cold. I'm talking 60 to 65 degree weather at the coast in June (while the rest of the country bakes in heat wave after heat wave).

The cold doesn't bother me (yeah right---I just turned on the heat and the windows are all closed) but it's the overall gloominess.

The first year we moved out here, my stepdaughter visited in June, thinking she could go to the beach. Yeah, that didn't work out so well.

5 comments:

  1. Really? I've never been there but I thought the weather was nice all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I thought too! But every May and June there is a heavy dose of what they call "the marine layer". It's San Diego's dirty little secret, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! This is my favorite time of year here besides Nov - Feb :)

    I'm a weirdo.

    Having fresh sunflowers and strawberries in the house may help! Kicking back with a good glass of cabernet definitely helps (if not preggo)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you pregnant? Wow! That's exciting! Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess as long as every other month is pleasant, May and June can be shitty and it doesn't make a difference. Gives you some perspective. ;)

    Try living in Seattle where mid-June-Sept. is the only NICE weather we get. Every other month is gray and dreary.

    ReplyDelete