Friday, December 23, 2011

Vina del Mar, Chile


Vina is a short subway ride from Valparaiso. You can catch the train at Estacion Puerto and you have to buy a subway card. The ride is only about 25 minutes and Vina is a world away from Valparaiso. Where Valpo is working class, Vina is the Chilean version of posh.


I exited at Estacion Vina which is near the Parque Quinta Vergara, a nice park with horse drawn carriages. I chose this exit because it was the closest to the Corporacion Museo de Arquelogio e Historia Francisco Fock (or the Fock Museum). The Fock Museum is quite small but focuses on the inhabitants of Easter Island (Isla Pascua) and actually has a Moai head outside. It was surrounded by a by a bunch of bushes and I had heard that people had vandalized it. WTF?




Anyway, it was a great little museum and it also featured a section on Shrunken Heads (not sure why) but very informative.


Vina is also famous for a Flower Clock (Reloj de Flores) but it wasn't that exciting to me.


Overall, I much prefer Valpo to Vina...it just seems more alive.



3 comments:

  1. Hola! I've been away for about a year from blogging-land & decided to take a look around. So glad I did -- Your blog was always one of my favorites to read! Gotta catch up with your South American adventures now -- Have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I hadn't thought of it that way. Vina just seemed more of a "rich" person's vacation place. Not that exciting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Isabella!

    Nice to hear from you :D
    I too take a long break and I'm pretty much just using this blog as a way to remember my travels (although I'm writing about trips that happened a year ago so not sure how much I remember). Cursed laziness!
    You too have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete