Sunday, September 27, 2009

Procrastination

So why am I writing this instead of doing my paper for my Organizational Development and Change class? Because I'm procrastinating, which is what I've pretty much been doing this whole weekend.

My weekends follow a pretty similar format. Spanish class on Friday and Saturday. Britcoms on Saturday night and then sometimes I take my little sister out on Sunday. I've been volunteering with the Big Brother/Big Sister program since March.

Yes, my life is wildly interesting and no, you can't have it.

I did, however, book my ticket to Brussels in December with a return flight home from Zurich.

More on what I plan to do later, but I do really want to see this in Brussels:


This is the famous Mannekin Pis statue (apparently Dutch for little man urinating). It's the symbol of Brussels and people from all over the world send him outfits to wear.



Apparently, he wears new clothes everyday.


Here he is in his Judo outfit.



Too cute!



Since I'm procrastinating, this is going to be a pretty random blog.

One weekend, my little sister and I went to the Body Worlds exhibit here in San Diego.

It was pretty cool in that these are real dead bodies that all the fat and fluids have been sucked out of. They then inject them with plasticine. It was at the Natural History Museum and I worried a little bit about taking a 12-year old there but then I remembered that she told me her favorite movie is, "Saw" which scared the bejeebies out of me, but I guess I'm just a big baby.

Here's one of the bodies from this exhibition.

It's kind of weird because they pose them in all sorts of strange positions, like yoga and skateboarding so you can see all the muscles and tendons.

I know some of the security managers there and they told me that people have fainted at seeing the bodies, but so far no one has vomited. Nice to know.



What else do I do on the weekends? Last night, we went to the Navy Chief Petty Officer's Khaki Ball. Khakis are what they call the Chief's Uniform.

Making the rank of Chief is a huge deal in the Navy. It's like basically going from blue to white collar and there's a whole huge hazing process that's involved. I thought it was pretty silly when hubs was going through it, but it's a long Navy tradition and who am I to stand in the way of seafaring history?

Basically, it's like the worst frat house hazing but it goes on for longer but as far as I know, they don't make you cross dress. However, once you finish, you're a "genuine" Chief and become part of the worldwide Chief community. And they don't take it easier on the women either. I have to take my hat off to the strong women who go through this process. As my husband often tells me, "You would never make it through Chief season". He says it in a joking way, but I know he's serious. Sigh.

You can choose not to go through the whole hazing thing, but if you do, you're ostracized not only where you're stationed, but one of the "genuine" Chiefs will call your next duty station and tell them, so you're persona non-grata there as well.




What else do I do? Well, last week when I was in LA, I went to see The Queen Mary ship at Long Beach.


It was in service between the US and Great Britain from 1936 until 1967 and is now rumored to be haunted.

It's a hotel and tourist attraction now, along with a defunct Russian submarine parked (moored?) next door.
It's kind of gross to get there though because you have to go through all the ports of Long Beach. Not the most fun.

Anyway, I think I've procrastinated long enough. Back to the paper. I don't know why I can't get get motivated to write this paper but for some reason it's not happening for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment