Sunday, April 4, 2010

First Earthquake!

Wow! I just experienced my first earthquake! We've had 2 others since I've lived here but I couldn't feel those.

I was sitting on the couch watching "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and all of a sudden all the pictures on the walls started rattling.

Nothing really registered until after a few seconds when the chair started moving side to side. Then I was like, 'ok this is an earthquake!"

My first thought was to get the dog but since she wasn't freaking out (nobody ever said we have the world's smartest dog) I ran to the door and shouted for Leo. He had been sitting outside working on his car, so at first he didn't feel it. But then he looked up and saw his huge truck shaking and realized it was an earthquake.

He's shouting at me to run outside, so I grab the dog and head outside in my socks. It was the weirdest feeling. The ground was still shaking. You could feel the sidewalk move under your feet.

The only way I can describe it was it was like the moving sidewalk in a carnival or fair.

Our new neighbor from Nebraska ran out of her house shouting, "What the hell was that? Was that an earthquake?"

That was pretty funny but the whole thing was a little scary.

Even though this was a tiny earthquake compared to what the people of Haiti and Chile went through, I got a much better idea of how terrifying an earthquake can be.

It sounds scary when you hear about it from afar, but to experience it (even in miniature) is crazy.

The first thing I did was call my parents in Michigan, who were like, "You need to come home. We don't have earthquakes here, only crazy militia people."

One of those nutjob Hutaree people was captured in the little town near where my parents live.

Mmmmm. Earthquakes or crazy right-wing apocalyptic Christians hell-bent on killing cops and starting an anti-government war. Not sure which is easier to live with

6 comments:

  1. CNN is reporting that it was a 6.9 magnitude earthquake centered in Baja, California

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now. 7.2 which is higher than the Haiti earthquake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coincedentally I just finished reading the AP news story about this earthquake before I saw your new post up on my Google reader. I think, if I were you, I'd choose the earthquake zone over the latter ;-) And I could imagine the woman from Nebraska as I read this. Hilarious, and I love how you've shared about this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was crazy!! We were in Bankers Hill and it seemed like it lasted forever. This Seattlite ducked and covered (the neck) while everyone else ran outside :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mrs. Carioca-

    We're in San Diego so we didn't bear the brunt of it, but it was still scary!

    @Becca--I know! Being from the Detroit area, I'm more prepared for tornadoes, not earthquakes!

    ReplyDelete