Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Price was Busted!

After much discussion with friends and co-workers, we decided to leave for our Price is Right trip (see previous entry here) at 6 a.m. in order to make it to LA (hopefully) by 8:30 in the morning.

Needless to say, we hit traffic (everything you’ve ever heard about LA traffic is true and then some).

By the time we got to Hollywood and parked, it was almost 9:30.

We went to CBS studios and talked to one of the ticket takers who basically told us that even if he gave us Order of Arrival Passes (which show when you arrived and hopefully get you in to see a taping) he would be wasting our time.

He said when he got there at 5:45 a.m., the line was already around the block.

So future Price is Righter’s, learn from my mistakes and get there at 5 or 6 a.m. (for a 4 pm taping). Unless you have a group of at least 15, you don’t get guaranteed seating.

My illusions of grandeur and spinning the Big Wheel were effectively dashed.

Sigh.

We decided to make the best of the day and since we were so close to Hollywood, we headed down there and were going to do a star home’s tour. Since we had a “found” day we wanted to do the cheesiest thing we could think of.

After negotiating with a tour operator outside of Grauman’s Chinese Theater, we decided to do Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum instead. (The tour would probably be great if you a.) don’t know the area at all and don’t know where to go or b.) if you don’t have a car and can’t drive around yourself.

Hollywood isn’t too hard to negotiate and find the tourist things.

I’ve been to the London Dungeon before and I think that had wax sculptures, but my friend never had and she was super excited.

However, the highlight of the trip to me was Santa Monica. This is my favorite part of LA.

They had a pedestrian only street with great restaurants and shops. Street performers are everywhere. Then there is the world-famous Santa Monica pier.









I LOVE this pier. It’s tacky and kitschy but so great. They have a Ferris Wheel and a roller coaster, as well as about a hundred vendors who will either do a caricature of you (why God why do people do this?) or write your name on a grain of rice.


So classy! (said with tongue firmly in cheek). It's also the end of Route 66 (2447 miles from Chicago to LA).

There’s also a carousel and an aquarium, as well as a huge beach. You can also learn how to be a trapeze artist (no joke).









A lot of people fish off the end of the pier and it’s been shown in a lot of movies and TV shows.

In fact, the opening sequence of Three’s Company, was shot here (not the one where they were at the zoo).

We had a beer at one of the local beach bars and just hung out.

So nice. It made not getting on The Price is Right, not so bad.

4 comments:

  1. Schucks! Too bad you couldn't be in the audience of the Price is Right! Maybe one day. I tried to get into the audience of the Late Show with David Letterman. Ha. I don't know the secret trick for this one at all, but I will still try each time I visit NYC. Great post about Santa Monica Pier here as well. This is indeed a great place to visit, and I try to go to on each visit I make to the LA-area. I'm glad you still had a great time! Have a great weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the Late Show would be great! I hope you make it next time! I'll have my fingers crossed for you =)

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, sorry you didn't make it on the Price is Right! I've always loved that show but I don't know if I'd stand outside for 12 hours just to get on it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my name on a grain of rice. It was a nice conversation peice, if a little awkwardly placed.

    That sucks about The Price is Right taping. I totally missed out on seeing mass at the Vatican City because I didn't send a letter a week in advance. I had no idea. I'm kicking myself still.

    ReplyDelete